Special provisions are available in India to certain classes of people who are not adequately represented in the country such as Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe, and Other Backward Class. Caste certificate is a legal document that acts as an evidence of a person belonging to a particular caste. Especially people belonging to the backward classes should possess a caste certificate to avail various privileges provided by the Government. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining Assam caste certificate. Purpose of Caste Certificate: Caste certificate plays an important role in availing quotas set certain educational institutions and Government entities. Students require a caste certificate for admission in school / college or to avail scholarships offered by the Government. In terms of employment, caste certificate is obligatory for job seekers, who apply for Government jobs as appointments under reserved quotas. Further, disbursement of Government certain subsidies for special reservations requires a caste certificate.
- Applicant should be citizen of India.
- Applicant's parent should has caste certificate.
The application should include the following documents:
- Two copies of passport size photograph of the applicant,
- Permanent resident certificate or any other proof of residency Caste certificate of parents or any supporting proof of caste status
- Affidavit by the applicant or parents in lieu of the certificate.
- Report of Gaonburah in case of rural areas/ Ward Commissioner in case of urban areas. (Recommendation of the Gaonburah / Ward Commissioner may be skipped if the parents of the applicant has already been issued SC Caste certificate).
- Recommendation of President/Secretary of District President of Anuhushit Jati Parishad / Chairman of Scheduled Caste Development Board / President / Secretary of the Apex body of caste organizations authorized by Govt. as the case may be
- Upto date land revenue paid receipt for 3(three) years.
Type of Service
The applicant can apply online or offline for caste certificate.
Step by step procedures to apply
- After receiving the application along with all the required documents the Designated Public Servant will forward the application within 5 (five) working days to the concerned Circle Officer for his report.
- The Circle Officer will submit his report within 20 (twenty) working days from the date of receiving the application from the office of DC/SDO (Civil) after verifying the details through field verification.
- The designated Public Servant will issue/reject the Certificate based on the report of concerned Circle Officer within 5 (five) days from the date of receipt of the report .The whole process of issuing the Caste Certificate will take a maximum of 30(thirty) working days.